Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Path of a Squirrel



There are so many times when I've thought to myself, "I wish I was a little squirrel, flying through the trees, and living in a tree". But when I really stop to consider what a squirrel's path entails, I am filled with admiration for their fortitude and not sure I would have as much perseverance to carry on "no matter what"!


Often times, I've witnessed a lame squirrel that was too fast for me to catch and rescue. I would worry about the squirrel surviving with its handicap, and yet within 6 weeks time it would be completely healed up. You will never see a lame squirrel sit around and feel sorry for himself and he never expects anyone to wait on him while he is recovering from his injury! He just carries on!

When a squirrel does get hit by a car (driving too darn fast for a park road) you never see the other squirrels sitting on the side of the road crying or whining about their relation. They just keep on being a squirrel. They will, however, chase away carrion birds that arrive on the scene! Bravo!




Squirrels make great friends and if you're lucky enough to raise an orphan from one or two weeks after birth, you may find that this squirrel quickly becomes your loyal companion and you become his favorite human! My dearest friend, Bucky, was one such amazing squirrel! He turned out to be my soul mate! Imagine that! He would rough up my hair and would bury nuts in my collar.  I loved how he would hang out with me while I was blogging, just splayed out on my left shoulder!
That certainly is my idea of heaven!  
No matter what the path of a squirrel turns out to be, if you are lucky enough to cross paths with a baby squirrel, please know that you have been truly blessed by the benevolent universe! 

The minute I heard my first love story,
I started looking for you, not knowing how blind that was.

Lovers don't finally meet somewhere,
they're in each other all along.
From Essential Rumi
by Coleman Barks






Who would have thought TRUE LOVE would look like this?

2 comments:

  1. I love that you love squirrels! The videos gave me heart tickles :) Who says animals don't feel!

    Unfortunately our neighbor's son shot two with his pellet rifle! And they landed in our yard - dead. I felt much pain in my heart for these two little creatures. My husband talked to the father about it, but people are so hardened. He basically said, it's just a squirrel. We let him know that it was unacceptable...

    Much squirrel love :) Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Christine,
    Perhaps if fate would have it for you to raise a baby squirrel, and invited your neighbor's son over to feed the squirrel, his heart would open. Texas is a big squirrel hunting state and I know that when Twiggy the waterskiing squirrel did a performance at the Boat Show in Austin, there were tons of hunters standing in line with their children to get a chance at petting Twiggy! It just takes one experience of connection with a sweet little squirrel.... just one time.. and VOILA! I have two rescued squirrels living with me. Princess Toofie is brain damaged and is so gentle, I encourage everyone to pet her. One time and they are smitten with squirrelove! It is my sweet dharma to share squirrelove.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are first approved by Mr.Nut before posting.