Monday, March 5, 2012

In Praise of Squirrel Mamas




This post is in honor of all the squirrel mamas on the planet!  I have so much respect for the incredible job they do!  To keep the babies, usually three or more, fed, warm, sheltered and nurtured is a tall order for any mom!
I am in awe of their perseverance, dedication, and just all around good common sense! It is one thing to take care of babies in a warm house... I imagine it is quite a challenge having to deal with rain, wind, temperature extremes, predators, cars, and other variables!

God Bless All Mama Squirrels!


At this time, I have the honor and privilege to care for three infant squirrels that were orphaned when their nest came down in north Austin last month. Keeping up with the feedings every 4-5 hours round the clock,  in addition to keeping them at just the right temperature, stimulating them to go to the bathroom, and cuddling them just like a squirrel mama would do is almost a full time job!



I am in awe and appreciation of nature's way of nurturing it's infants in the wild!  One thing I know for sure, I am hard pressed to do all that a mama squirrel does for her young!

Whether human or squirrel,
 it makes no difference...
 the bond between a 
mother and her young is a powerful one. When my 
    daughter was born over 
    29 years ago, I remember waking up in the middle of the night always just a few seconds before she did so I could  nurse her. It was like magic... we were so connected.  And now, when it's time to feed the baby squirrels in the wee hours, no matter how tired I am, I automatically wake up at exactly the right time to
 feed them!  A mother's love never ends!



5 comments:

  1. I totally agree. Bless those mothers squirrels:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anne,
    I just now noticed your comment! I went to your site and saw the picture of Wheezer. What a sweetie. Is he still around?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. im a mom of a son and daughter!! three wks. ago while cutting firewood we came across a squirrel nest....two babies but no momma...i warmed em in my hand and put em in the nest and watched for momma from a distance.......i ended up taken the two baby boys in and have loved every moment they are so helpleess..dont even have their eyes open yet......bless those momma squirrels!!! we live in a beautiful woided area here in Lewis co...kentucky and love feeding an watching all of tthe squirrels.....theres a bunch of em here:) im glad that i was able to keep the little fellers healthy cause this is the firrst time for me mothering baby squirrels....im already attached but i know i have to do whats best for them... bless you......mandy cropper from kentucky caring for baby squirrels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So lovely, Mandy! A baby squirrel changes our hearts in such a way that we are never the same after that! What a wonderful blessing to nurture and love these babies! Thank you for doing this important job!!!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are first approved by Mr.Nut before posting.